Prototype: German Federal Railroad (DB) class 042 steam locomotive with a tender and with a new design high-efficiency boiler. Tender is a type 2´2´T34 oil tender. Road number 042 096-8, assigned to Rheine.
Model: The locomotive is completely new tooling. The locomotive has a frame, superstructure with boiler, and tender constructed of die-cast zinc. Other separately applied parts are constructed mostly of metal. This is a highly detailed model with many separately applied parts and a prototypically detailed engineer's cab. The locomotive has an extended smoke stack and a smoke box door without a central locking device. The smoke box door can be opened. The locomotive has an inductive magnet on both sides, water tank hatches that can be opened, cab doors that can be opened, buffer plate warning stripes, and much more. The locomotive has an mfx digital decoder, controlled high efficiency propulsion, and a sound generator with operating sounds synchronized with the wheels as well as extensive sound functions. It can be operated with AC power, DC power, Märklin Digital, and DCC. All of the driving axles are powered. The locomotive has a built-in smoke unit with smoke exhaust and cylinder steam synchronized with the wheels, and a steam whistle. The triple headlights have a light color correct for the era and change over with the direction of travel. The headlights will work in conventional operation and can be controlled digitally. Maintenance-free, warm white LEDs are used for the lighting. The locomotive has sprung buffers, engine cab lights, firebox lights, and running gear lights. The locomotive has a reproduction of the prototype coupler on the front and a newly designed, remote controlled Telex coupler on the rear of the tender. Both of the couplers can be replaced by the other type of coupler. The valve gear switchover is in 3 steps (forward, reverse, continuous operation). An accessory package with a reproduction of the prototype coupler, a claw coupler, smoke fluid, a figure of a locomotive engineer and a fireman, and a second set of locomotive doors for trouble-free running and for display case presentation is included with the locomotive. Minimum radius for operation 1,020 mm / 40-3/16". Length over the buffers 74.7 cm / 29-3/8". Weight approximately 7.6 kilograms / 16 pounds 12 ounces.
The locomotive industry developed the class 41 2-8-2 locomotive for fast freight trains as part of the DRG's standardized locomotive program. Schwartzkopff delivered the two prototype units in 1936. The running gear and frame was a new design. The boiler was the same as on the class 03, but on the class 41 it was designed for 20 bar / 290 pounds per square inch. The axle load could be set at 18 or 20 tons. The class 41 was the first time for a universally applicable general-purpose locomotive. The two prototype units were followed by 364 regular production locomotives that were improved slightly and that were delivered by almost all German locomotive builders by 1941. These locomotives could run at 90 km/h / 56 mph and produced around 1,900 horsepower. They were used in almost all areas. As with the classes 01.10, 03.10, and 45 the St47K boiler on the class 41 exhibited metal fatigue after a few years that led to cracks in weld joints in the area of the firebox and thereby to leaks. Chiefly the units built by Krauss-Maffei exhibited these defects, but locomotives from other builders were also affected. At the end of August 1941, the German State Railroad's central office (RZA) therefore lowered the boiler pressure from 20 to 16 bar / 290 pounds to 232 pounds per square inch. Of course the performance from these units decreased somewhat, but the boiler damage could be managed in this way over the next few years. In addition, between 1943 and 1944 replacement boilers made of St34 steel were installed on 40 locomotives. After World War II 216 locomotives remained on the DB and 116 on the East German DR. Since both state railroads could not do without the class 41, numerous units were equipped with new boilers. The DB developed an all-welded high-efficiency boiler with a combustion chamber as a replacement for the worn out St47K boiler. Compared to the previous long tube boiler, this boiler had a higher proportion of high quality radiant heating surface and could thereby sustain a higher load. Between 1957 and 1961, 102 class 41 locomotives were equipped with this new boiler at the maintenance facility (AW) in Braunschweig. This in conjunction with the discarded front skirting clearly changed the look of the class 41 units. The units not rebuilt were retired for the most part in the Sixties. The rebuilt units fired with a grate followed by 1971. They had been reclassified as the class 041 starting in 1968. The oil-fired class 41 units (starting in 1968: 042) by contrast were in use and stationed at Rheine until the end of steam motive power on the DB in 1977. At least 13 oil-fired units remained preserved, but none of the coal-fired locomotives with or without a new design boiler. Currently road numbers 41 018 (Augsburg), 096 (Klein Mahner), and 360 (Oberhausen) are operational.