Prototype: German Federal Railroad (DB) class 01 express steam locomotive with a type 2´2´T34 coal tender. Large Wagner smoke deflectors, silver boiler bands, buffer plate warning stripes. Road number 01 126. The locomotive looks as it did around 1950.
Model: The locomotive has an mfx+ digital decoder and extensive sound functions. It also has controlled high-efficiency propulsion with a flywheel, mounted in the boiler. 3 axles powered. Traction tires. The locomotive and tender are constructed mostly of metal. The locomotive has a factory-installed 7226 smoke unit. The dual headlights change over with the direction of travel. They and the smoke unit will work in conventional operation and can be controlled digitally. The locomotive has firebox flickering. Maintenance-free warm white LEDs are used for the lighting. There is a permanent close coupling with a guide mechanism between the locomotive and tender that can be adjusted for track curves. The rear of the tender has a close coupler with an NEM pocket and a guide mechanism. Protective piston sleeves, brake hoses, and figures of a locomotive engineer and a fireman are included. The minimum radius for operation is 360 mm / 14-3/16". The model comes in an attractive wooden case with a certificate of authenticity. Length over the buffers 27.5 cm / 10-13/16".
One-time limited series.
90 Years of the Class 01 Express Steam Locomotives The class 01 was the epitome of German express steam locomotives for many years almost up to the end of steam motive power in both German states. Neither lay people nor experts could escape the fascination of these locomotives and the manner in which they delivered power, elegance, and speed. A two-cylinder and a four-cylinder compound express locomotive was included in the first type plan for the DRG established in 1920. These units were identical in all other parts. Starting in 1926 exhaustive comparison runs were done with ten each of the two classes that ended up in favor of the two-cylinder units. Regular production of the twin locomotives began with road number 01 012 starting in 1927. Procurement of them did not end until 1938. They were built over a period of more than twelve years which almost inevitably resulted in different design changes. After World War II 171 units remained with the later DB and 70 came to the later DR. Five DB units were equipped in 1950/51 with Henschel mixed preheaters and all of the DB 01 units gave up their large smoke deflectors in favor of the small Witte units. Both German state railroads decided at the end of the Fifties to update or rebuild part of their 01 locomotives. On the DB 50 units were equipped starting in 1957 with new welded high-efficiency boilers. The DR's rebuilding program changed 35 locomotives fundamentally as the new class 01.5. Numerous locomotives remain preserved and at least one example of each class are even operational.