Prototype: German Federal Railroad (DB) class 042 oil-fired freight train steam locomotive with a tender. Rebuilt version with a new design, high-performance boiler, Witte smoke deflectors, DB reflex glass lamps, inductive magnets on both sides, buffer plate warning strip, and rebuilt tender with an oil bunker. Road number 042 186-7. The locomotive looks as it did around 1972.
Model: The locomotive has an mfx digital decoder. It also has controlled high-efficiency propulsion with a bell-shaped armature and a flywheel, in the boiler. 4 axles powered. Traction tires. The locomotive and tender are constructed mostly of metal. A 7226 smoke generator can be installed in the locomotive. The triple headlights change over with the direction of travel. The headlights and the smoke generator, which can be installed in the locomotive, will work in conventional operation and can be controlled digitally. The headlights are maintenance-free, warm white LEDs. There is a close coupling with a guide mechanism between the locomotive and the tender and it can be adjusted for curves. The back of the tender and the front of the locomotive has a close coupler with a guide mechanism and an NEM coupler pocket. Minimum radius for operation is 360 mm / 14-3/16". Piston rod protection sleeves are included. Length over the buffers 27.5 cm / 10-13/16".
This model can be found in a DC version in the Trix H0 assortment under item no. 22372.
The Class 042 The locomotive industry developed the class 41 2-8-2 locomotive for fast freight trains as part of the DRG's standardization program. Schwartzkopff delivered the two sample prototype units in 1936. The running gear was a new development; the boiler was the same for the class 03, but it was rated for 290 pounds per square inch on the class 41. The axle load could be set at 18 or 20 metric tons. In the class 41 the railroad had a general-purpose locomotive for the first time that could be used anywhere. The two sample prototype units were followed by 364 regular production locomotives that were improved slightly and that were delivered by almost all of the German locomotive builders up to 1941. These locomotives could do 90 km/h / 56 mph and had around 1,900 horsepower. They were used in almost all areas of the railroad. The DB acquired 216 of these locomotives after World War II, and 116 remained with the DR in East Germany. Since neither of the state railroads could do without the class 41, numerous units were equipped with new boilers. Between 1957 and 1961 a total of 102 units of the class 41 were given this new boiler at the maintenance facility in Braunschweig. This new boiler combined with the removal of the front skirting clearly altered the look of these locomotives. Oil firing was also applied to 40 of these rebuilt locomotives. The units that were not rebuilt were retired in the Sixties for the most part. The coal-fired rebuilt units followed by 1971; they had been newly designated as the class 041 from 1968 on. The oil-fired class 41 units (from 1968 on: 042) were in use until the end of steam locomotive motive power on the DB in 1977 and were based in Rheine.