The Kittel - A Durable Steam-Powered Rail Car. As early as the end of the 19th century, procurement was begun of a first series of seven steam-powered rail cars that were chiefly run on branch lines in the southwest part of Germany. Eugen Kittel, chief mechanical engineer for the Royal Württemberg State Railways (K.W.St.E.) designed a more efficient boiler, which led in 1905 to the order for another 10 steam powered rail cars in Württemberg. The first series was rebuilt accordingly. At the time of the German State Railroad, the remaining steam-powered rail cars were rostered under the road numbers 9 Stuttgart to 14 Stuttgart. Another series of steam-powered rail cars under the class 121a was delivered in 1914/15 for the Grand Ducal Baden State Railways, and they were later rostered on the DRG under the road numbers CidT 1 to 8. Two steam-powered rail cars from this Baden series were acquired by the German Federal Railroad after 1945, and they were painted in the crimson color scheme customary for powered rail cars. In 1951 and 1953, these two steam-powered rail cars from the provincial railroad period were retired from service on the German Federal Railroad.