The Prussian State Railways created a predecessor to the standard design locomotives with the G 12. It"s true that railroads in other countries had also purchased earlier designs like this. This time however - in 1916 - there was military pressure to standardize the motive power of provincial railroads. The first locomotive was delivered in 1917. It had three-cylinder running gear. This clearly differentiated it from older Prussian designs. The sectional frame and the broad Belpaire firebox design were totally different from purely Prussian designs. The G 12 was equipped with running gear having five coupled wheel sets in order to achieve the required axle load limit of 16 metric tons. The Baden, Prussian, Saxon, and Württemberg State Railways placed the G 12 into service. Approximately 1,500 units were built from this design. The last of these locomotives were in service in East Germany until 1976.