Prototype: German State Railroad Company (DRG) class 96 steam freight locomotive. Mallet design with articulated running gear as well as high and low pressure cylinders. Former Bavarian class Gt 2 x 4/4, first production run from 1913.
|Gauge / Design type||1 /|
Model: The body and frame are constructed mostly of metal. Different, separately applied parts are made of high quality materials. The locomotive has an mfx digital decoder, controlled high-efficiency propulsion, and a sound effects generator with many functions. The locomotive can be run with AC power, DC power, Märklin Digital, and Märklin Systems. 8 axles in both groups of driving wheels powered. The locomotive has a built-in smoke generator. The dual headlights change over with the direction of travel, and they and the smoke generator will work in conventional operation and can be controlled digitally. The standard coupler can be replaced by a prototype coupler included with the locomotive.
Minimum radius for operation 1,020 mm / 40-3/16".
Length over the buffers 54.8 cm / 21-9/16".
Find more Märklin explanation videos on our YouTube Channel
The 55961 locomotive is being produced in 2007 in a one-time series only for Insider members.
There Once Was a Class 96 ... Three steeply graded routes with grade of 2 to 2.5 percent forced the Bavarian State Railways to purchase extraordinarily powerful steam locomotives at the start of the twentieth century. The boiler had to be made rather large due to the required power output; the axle loads could not exceed 15 metric tons, however. The total mass of around 120 metric tons had to be distributed over eight wheel sets. The Munich locomotive builder J. A. Maffei finished the first of the new Bavarian class Gt 2x4/4 in November of 1913. This locomotive had the road number 5751. In the Twenties, it was given the designation 96 001. This locomotive was equipped with a group of driving wheels with high pressure cylinders and a group of driving wheels with low pressure cylinders, and it produced up to 1,300 horsepower. On a 2 percent grade it was able to haul a train of 800 metric tons at a speed of 20 km/h / 13 mph. A Gt 2x4/4 replaced up to three of the pusher locomotives in use up to then. In 1913 and 1914, Maffei delivered 15 locomotives with the road numbers 5751 to 5765. In 1922, another ten improved locomotives followed with the 5766 to 5775. They appeared in the German State Railroad's numbering scheme as 96 001 to 96 025. These locomotives were always used in service on steep grades. The last 16 units of the class 96 in existence in West Germany were retired in October of 1948 in the Nürnberg District. Two were still in use up to 1949/50 at the Stendal maintenance center.
|Control Unit||Mobile Station||Mobile Station 2||Central Station 1/2||Central
Mobile Station 2**
|Steam locomotive op. sounds|
|Sound of squealing brakes off|
|Sound of coal being shoveled|
|Letting off Steam|
* New features of the Central Station 2 (Part No. 60213, 60214 or 60215) with the software update 4.2
** New features of the Mobile Station 2 (Part No. 60657/66955) with the Software Update 3.55