Flat cars of this design were placed into service on the Royal Württemberg State Railways starting in 1895. Flat cars were indispensable for the many types of bulky freight commonly transported at that time. Loads of hay were often seen as freight. The car had wooden stakes that could be installed into openings on the car's frame to safeguard the load. The truss rods reinforced the frame and increased the tonnage the car could transport compared to older car designs.