With Power and Ease to Berchtesgaden.
Few German electric locomotives were purchased only for a single route, yet road number E 44 507 placed into service in 1934 undoubtedly belongs to this group. It was initially designated as E 44 107. It roots can be found in the successful test runs done with the experimental E 44 101 starting in June of 1931 on the line from Freilassing to Berchtesgaden with its many curves and grades. Its superior performance was phenomenal: On the 4% ramp between Bad Reichenhall and Hallthurm, road number E 44 101 could haul 220 metric tons with no problem at 50 km/h / 31 mph instead of the old side rod electric locomotives with only 90 metric tons at 30 km/h / 19 mph.
Prototype: German Federal Railroad (DB) class E 44.5 electric passenger locomotive. Used mainly on the rail line between Freilassing and Berchtesgaden. Bottle green basic paint scheme. Version from the 2nd production series, with prototypical openings on the side sills. Locomotive road number E 44 507. The locomotive looks as it did around 1960.