Class 95.0 Oil Freight Train Steam Tank Locomotive After successful use of the "Animal Class" tank locomotives (DR 95.66) by the Halberstadt-Blankenburg Railroad (HBE) on its steep route the Rübeland Line, the (Prussian) central railroad office in Berlin also decided on a tank locomotive with five coupled driving axles and contracted with Borsig to design a 2-10-2T tank locomotive with an 18 metric ton axle load. This design was then carried out with only a few changes as the "Prussian T 20". The desired high axle load of 18 metric tons showed that this new locomotive obviously was not intended to replace cogwheel operation with adhesion operation. The roadbed for all Prussian cogwheel lines would have had to be replaced, since they were not authorized for such high axle loads. The plan was more for a powerful unit for motive power and pusher work on steep main lines. The DRG did indeed already exist at the time of the order with Borsig, but the T 20 rightly counts as the last Prussian steam locomotive design with the typical features of the last level of development for Prussian locomotive building: a bar frame and a Belpaire firebox. In 1923/24, Borsig delivered 18 and Hanomag 27 units. The DRG took ownership of all 45 units with the road numbers 95 001-045. They were used chiefly on the steep lines in the Thuringian Forest, the Franconian Forest, the Geislingen Grade, and on the Schiefe Ebene near Neuenmarkt-Wirsberg. After 1945, 14 of these locomotives came to the subsequent DB and 31 locomotives remained on the DR in the GDR. Due to the importance of these units for the DR, there were various improvements in the following years: Between 1957 and 1965, the water tanks and coalbunkers on all of the units were redone in a welded version. Between 1964 and 1973, 24 units had oil firing installed, ten units had new boilers installed, and two were even equipped with new welded cylinders. Starting in July of 1970, the oil-fired locomotives ran as the class 95.00, and the unconverted units and all units with coal firing already in storage were theoretically the class 95.10. By 1980/81, the last oil locomotives were in use at Probstzella. At least five units remained preserved, whereby road number 95 027 of the DB Museum has been available in operational condition again since 2010 for special train use on the Rübeland Line.