Prototype: German Federal Railroad (DB) class 94.5-17 (former Prussian T16.1) steam tank locomotive, with bell and pre-warmer on the top of the boiler, with radio antenna for switching, older design buffers, and buffer plate warning stripes. Road number 94 539. The locomotive looks as it did around 1960/61.
|Gauge / Design type||H0 / 1:87|
Model: The locomotive has an mfx+ digital decoder and extensive sound functions. It has controlled high-efficiency propulsion with a flywheel, mounted in the boiler. 5 axles powered. Traction tires. The locomotive is constructed mostly of metal. A 72270 smoke generator can be installed in the locomotive. The triple headlights change over with the direction of travel. They and the smoke generator, which can be installed, will work in conventional operation and can be controlled digitally. The headlights are maintenance-free warm white LEDs. Protective piston rod sleeves and brake hoses are included.
Length over the buffers 14.6 cm / 5-3/4".
This model can be found in a DC version in the Trix H0 assortment under item number 25940.
Find more Märklin explanation videos on our YouTube Channel
Next to the largely famous P 8 (class 38.10) passenger locomotive, the Royal Prussian State Railroad also landed a big success at the beginning of the 20th century with the class T 16 and T 16.1 heavy tank locomotives. Between 1906 and 1924, a proud 1,591 units of this locomotive type with five driving axles were placed in service. With a maximum speed of 60 km/h / 38 mph and an output of over 1,000 horsepower, the class T 16.1 was especially ideal motive power for branch lines with steep grades and for work in large switching yards. Road number 94 539 left its builder, the Wildau-Berlin Machinery Company, Inc. (formerly L. Schwartzkopff) in 1913 as one of the first units of the improved class T 16.1. This locomotive was initially based in Kassel and in 1925 it was given road number 94 539 in the German State Railroad's numbering plan. Later, this unit was transferred to the Stuttgart District to Heilbronn, which used it – equipped with counter-pressure brakes – among other things on the Koch Valley Line Waldenburg – Künzelsau – Forchtenberg. There, it was overtaken by a sad fate on September 13, 1944. During an attack from low-flying airplanes, the locomotive received a direct hit destroying the boiler. After that, it was repaired again and turned up – without counter-pressure brakes – in 1949 at Offenburg. From then on, road number 94 539 served as an industrious switch engine in the switchyards at Offenburg and Mannheim. In the late Fifties, it was even given switching radio communication. Its last years of service were spent at Mannheim. The DB renumbering plan of 1968 even planned the computer-generated road number 094 539-4 for this old-timer of 55 years. This proud class 94.5 however did not experience this modern era. It was retired in advance. The use of the class 94.5 at Mannheim ended in July of 1969, and about five years later, the last five units of the class T 16.1 on the DB left the roster. Moreover, at about the same time as the last locomotives of the class P 8 (38.10).
|Control Unit||Mobile Station||Mobile Station 2||Central Station 1/2||Central
Mobile Station 2**
|Smoke generator contact|
|Steam locomotive op. sounds|
|Sound of squealing brakes off|
|Whistle for switching maneuver|
|Letting off Steam|
|Sound of coal being shoveled|
|Sound of Couplers Engaging|
|"Switcher Double ""A"" Light"|
|Switching range + switching light|
|Special sound function|
* New features of the Central Station 2 (Part No. 60213, 60214 or 60215) with the software update 4.2
** New features of the Mobile Station 2 (Part No. 60657/66955) with the Software Update 3.55