Diesel or Electric Locomotive?
The German Federal Railroad's only diesel electric locomotives were the two double locomotives, V 188 001 and V 188 002, built in 1939
by Krupp in Essen and by Siemens. In the 1950s these two giants were thoroughly overhauled by Krauss-Maffei in Munich, with a preserved third pair serving as a source of parts. The old diesel motors, each with 940 horsepower, were replaced by new 12 cylinder units, each with 1,100 horsepower and developed
by Maybach for the modern V 200 diesel locomotive. Their classification remained as the V 188 (from the earlier 1,880 horsepower rating). The brake equipment, the heating plant and other equipment were
constantly adapted to changing requirements. The paint scheme was also adapted to the red scheme used for the newly built diesel locomotives of the time. Starting in 1968 the computer number 288 was the new class for both pairs of locomotives. The earlier designations "a"
and "b" for the respective halves were retained and not changed to the pure number representation. The service performed by these two veterans in Franconia lasted another two or four years, In 1971 diesel electric traction on the DB finally came to an end for good.