Reconditioned with a New Purpose - The German State Railroad Company placed the heavy class E 94 six-axle articulated electric locomotive into service mainly for difficult operations on steep grades on the Geislingen Grade, which was electrified in 1933. These units quickly proved to be an extraordinarily lucky throw of the dice. They were soon used in many areas of Germany. During their long years in service these 120 metric ton heavy motive power units turned in the best results on steep grades and in heavy freight train service. However, the E 94 locomotives were not just used in Germany; many of them found their way to Austria too. There, several of these carefully maintained heavy locomotives survived the waves of retirements longer than their siblings in Germany. In 1996/97 the Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB) sold the class 1020 units that were now out of service to buyers from abroad. It was in this fashion that the former ÖBB 1020 041-8 now in service on the Mittelweser Railroad first went to Luxembourg. In 1999 it was acquired by the "Eisenbahn- und Sonderwagenbetriebsgesellschaft" / "Railroad and Special Car Operating Company" in Augsburg (ESG) and was used for special nostalgia excursions. Since 2004, this locomotive has been on the lease locomotive roster for the Mittelweser Railroad (MWB). This privately owned railroad company uses this locomotive, which has been completely overhauled and equipped with modern engineer's cab controls, in heavy main line service, in Cargo traffic and for pusher service. This completely reconditioned also shines externally with its attractive gentian blue MWB paint scheme.