Diesel-Hydraulic Trail Blazer.
The class V 80 rang in a new era in German locomotive design. Starting in 1952, these locomotives were the first units placed into service with hydraulic power transmission. Other technical innovations were the welding technology used on the frame and superstructure as well as on the trucks. The propulsion system was equipped with 1,100 horsepower motors from MTU and an equally, fundamentally new universal shaft power transmission, both of these features constituting trail-blazing new developments. These units were also delivered for their planned service with multiple unit control for m.u. operation and shuttle train service. The railroad followed the aesthetics of the 1950s with a flowing, rounded locomotive body. The V 80 was used with commuter and fast passenger trains. It was also used for light freight trains.